Are you running the Under Armour Sole of the City 10K presented by KELLY?
If not-- hurry up and register! And if you need a few reasons to stop dragging your feet and commit to the race, allow us name a few:
- Gorgeous course through Fells Point, the Inner Harbor Promenade, Federal Hill, and Locust Point.
- This year Light City Baltimore has been extended an additional weekend so you’ll be able to see the sights by day.
- (In our opinions) the best race premiums (premium= runner jargon for the swag you get when you register) with these UA long sleeve pullovers and the SOTC logo.
- The race benefits Reading Partners Baltimore AND The March of Dimes.
- The finish line festivities at McHenry Row are on point: a free beer from The Greene Turtle, lunch wraps from Iron Rooster, and live music courtesy of the World of Beer.
- Weather in Baltimore is a tad finicky (amirite?!) but as of this minute it’s looking pretty spectacular for a 10K run Saturday morning. This is a rain or shine event.
So you are in?! Great! Here are a few pointers to get you to the start line on time and across the finish line to soak in the post race festival.
Get Your Race Packet
Race day is much easier when you have your packet ahead of time. Locations and the times of the remaining packet pick up options are listed here. If you are picking up for someone else be sure to bring a printed note we can retain for proof. If you already registered you should have received your number in an email which will expedite your pick up.
Wednesday, April 5th from 2-7PM
Charm City Run Bel Air
126 South Main Street
Bel Air, MD 21014
Thursday, April 6th from 2-7PM
Charm City Run - Timonium
2045 York Road
Timonium, MD 21093
Friday, April 7th from 12PM-7PM
Charm City Run - McHenry Row (Baltimore)
1713 Whetstone Way
Baltimore, MD 21230
Bring Your ID and Some Moula
We will have a bag check available onsite if needed or you can keep your necessities contained in a handy runner belt. If you want a beer after the race you’ll want proof you are old enough to consume it. Plus everyone is open for biz at McHenry Row so you may want some cash or plastic just in case.
Park Like a Pro
We have 4500 runners in this race. McHenry Row, while it does offer free parking for it’s patrons, has around 300 extra spots right on site. Since that math does not work it leads to a traffic jam in the shopping center (don’t try- you cannot magically squeeze in there.) We have these alternatives for you:
- Domino Sugar Gravel Lot: Same directions as above and you’ll see the lot on the right just across from the factory and before you drive through Under Armour HQ. It’s a smaller lot so it’s likely to fill up before the UA lots. Walk left on Key Highway Ext and then a left onto Woodall St up to McHenry Row and the start/finish area.
- Circulate from the Inner Harbor: The Charm City Circulator will be running every 10 minutes starting at 7AM. Park in any garage near the Inner Harbor attractions and make your way over. McHenry Row can be found on stops #408 and #413 on the Banner Route. Be sure to plan to arrive on site by 8:30 since Fort Avenue will close a little before 9AM to allow runners to line up at the start. We highly recommend this option if you plan to take advantage of the rest of the day downtown to explore the Inner Harbor.
- The Old Phillips Building: (now formally the Liberty and and Banner buildings of McHenry Row) 1215 E. Fort Avenue. This will be easiest to access if you arrive early. From I-95/Hanover St- follow Key Highway into McHenry Row and you’ll be directed towards the parking at the back of the property. From 83/Inner Harbor- follow Key Highway to right on Lawrence St (at the Royal Farms) and left on Fort Avenue, pass McHenry Row and 1215 E. Fort Avenue is on your right. Volunteers should be on hand to direct you to the parking that is not reserved for employees of the office building.
- If you live downtown: walk, circulate, or bike over (there are bike racks at McHenry Row) and now McHenry Row is a part of the Baltimore Bike Share. If you opt to park in the neighborhood please be respectful of residents and obey all parking and traffic signs.
McHenry Row will be bustling before the race starts-- most businesses will be open and our store will be as well.
Port-a-potties will be located behind the PNC Bank at the drive through, and behind World of Beer. POTTY POINTER: The line is always shorter behind World of Beer so head that way. You can also seek the limited facilities at: Harris Teeter, Dunkin Donuts, and Jimmy John’s.
Hopefully you picked up your packet ahead of time, but if not- Charm City Run is located in the shopping center and you can head there to grab it last minute (this is NOT recommended- get to a store for pick up before race day).
Harris Teeter, The Cellars, World of Beer and Dunkin Donuts are all open for business before the race if you need some hydration, caffeine, or other liquid courage.
- Line up on Fort Avenue at the Whetstone/Woodall intersection. The race heads West on Fort so head to the right if entering Fort Ave from the shopping center and line up facing the American Flag.
- If this is your first race, you plan to walk, or you are pushing a stroller we suggest you line up closer to the back of the pack.
- Enjoy the pre-race remarks from the coordinators, sponsors, and emcee and try not to be nervous.
- You have a chip on your bib so don’t worry if you don’t cross the start line right away-- the chip will assure your actual start line to finish line time is what counts.
- You can find a map of the entire course here. It starts headed West on Fort Ave followed shortly by a right turn with a nice downhill to Key Highway. From there it’s a fast and flat cruise around the Inner Harbor via Key Hwy, Light St, and Pratt St. Remember that early descent since that will come into play later.
- From there you will follow Pratt St to head into the heart of Fells Point. High five some crowd supporters along Light Street near the Aquarium and World Trade Center. Your first water stop will be near mile 2 on this stretch.
- Then you’ll make a few right turns to head back towards the harbor. **Final route returning to the Promenade TBD with the new construction in the Harbor East area and Lancaster St**. COBBLESTONE ALERT: This part of the course is narrow through Fells Point streets and potentially has cobblestones. Step lightly and if you have a stroller you might need to carefully make way onto the sidewalks.
- So far you will have seen police at every intersection- say hello and offer a “Thanks!” if you’re feeling friendly.
- Follow the course markers and hop onto the Promenade. Look around! THIS is the most scenic part of the course. The promenade is not closed to the public so be wary of passers-by. Look for cones with arrows if you are unsure where to go but it’s a follow-the-water route. Your second and final water stop will be along the Promenade.
- LIGHT CITY is still here! This amazing event has been extended for an extra weekend in 2017 which means you get to see Light City installments by day as you wind your way from Harbor East back over towards the Science Center.
- As you wind past the water you’ll come up towards the Science Center and prepare to exit the Promenade via the driveway before Rash Field. COBBLESTONE ALERT #2- watch your step. If you stay to the right you’ll notice the grooves are less groovy.
- You’ll be on Key Highway briefly before a right onto Covington St. STEADY CLIMBING AHEAD: Here is the deceptive climbing-- it’s a long stretch with a gentle but persistent incline. You have just around a mile remaining- don’t slow down now.
- Left onto Fort Ave with another gentle climb-- once this one peaks it’s smooth sailing.
- Follow the smooth descent towards the finish- hang a right on Whetstone Way and put on your best winning smile- you are there!
- Head towards the left after you finish to grab some water.
- Keep walking towards the music and you’ll find the food tables- this year Iron Rooster has wraps-a-plenty planned for all finishers. We are pretty excited for this new addition to McHenry Row and the Sole of the City 10K!
- FREE BEER is available just past the food tables near the circle where the band is playing. And then there is another free beer station located next to the water tower. The Greene Turtle and World of Beer will have kiosks with additional drink options.
- Check out the offerings from all of the event sponsors right in the middle of main street (near Rev Cycle Studio) and shop for additional Sole of the City gear at Charm City Run.
- Results will be posted at a kiosk set up to the right of the entrance of Charm City Run.
- If you want to swap shirt sizes for your premium- stop in CCR after the race to meet other runners hoping to do the same.
- Congratulate your fellow runners, take lots of celebratory pictures and be sure to tag @charmcityrun #charmcityrun #soleofthecity and #sotc2017 if you post them! Be merry and proud you ran a 6.2 miles.
Get home responsibly or stay and enjoy another fabulous day in our great Charm City.
We'll see you this Saturday, April 8th for the Under Armour Sole of the City 10K presented by KELLY!
Meet the Author: Deirdre Weadock, Sole of the City Expert & Locust Point Store Lead
A Baltimore native and graduate of NDP and University of Maryland in College Park, Deirdre bought her first pair of shoes from Charm City Run while home visiting Baltimore from her job training dolphins in the Florida Keys. She became a part-time employee and full-time member of the Charm City Run family soon after when she stopped in to replace her shoes. Deirdre was thrilled to help Charm City Run expand to the downtown location as the store manager and coach of Charm City Run full and middle distance training groups. Over the years of involvement she has been committed to the Charm City Run energy and passion for the running community and she is a well-known face at local events. She loves the downtown fitness community and you can often find her checking out any new local studio or gym, but her favorite spot will always be a run along the Inner Harbor Promenade.